Wednesday, April 13, 2016

K is for ...


Klimt's Kiss

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kiss_(Klimt)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustav_Klimt
http://www.klimt.com/
http://www.klimtgallery.org/
I thought I might share a video about this painting and found one that wasn't too long.  It amazed me that it is almost square and shares something with the Mona Lisa -- it is much smaller than I expected!  But the short video started showing other "embrace"-themed paintings rather than stick to this one ... so, no YouTube chosen by me to be shared here about this painting ... I'm sure I'll find some other topic to share a Tube about instead ...
(post edited 3/25/2017) -->  well, participating in this blog challenge is fun and worth it!  I hope to do the 2017 round but have not gotten brain in gear for it yet -- but this is an incentive:  Yesterday I received an email about this post -- Alonzo of Artsy.net contacted meabout an exhibit at the Paris The Musee Picasso Paris called "Beyond Stars: The Mystical Landscape from Monet to Kandinsky", which features Gustav Klimt.  He asked if I could add a link to an artsy page about Klimt to this post.  With much pleasure, here it is: https://www.artsy.net/artist/gustav-klimt   (enjoy learning more and exploring his wonderful work!)

Kheil

Hubby's middle name, according to him is Kheil.  I think I saw Khiel on his birth certificate or on his father's driver's license.  It has been a male middle name for generations in his family.  His mom kept saying she thought it was spelled "ie" but ...
There is the German shipyard.  We both thought we'd seen it spelled the same way he spells his middle name.  According to Wikipedia, that does not have the "h" in it, and is "ie."
Hubby says he has seen the name "Kheil" used on the Internet  ...  I wonder which is the correct spelling?
Kaye Umansky

She writes books.  I love her Pongwiffy books!  The Fwog Pwince - The Twuth! and Wilma's Wicked Revenge are also wonderful reads / listens! 


There's something very enjoyable about British books for children.  So many of them are like those by Roald Dahl -- delightfully wicked without one iota of being educational or having a moral in them. 

Kitty

Once again, hubby put his two cents in -- I actually asked him to.  As he was looking on the Net for a topic or two I could use as sub-topics under "K" -- he asked how to spell "kitty."  He gave me a funny look.  "Why is Cat with a C and Kitty with a K?  There's definitely something going on here.  In fact, where did 'kitty' come from?" 
Well, "citty" would be "sit-ee," wouldn't it?  But he may have a point.  Where did "kitty" come from referring to cats??



The Original Winnie The Pooh Toys
One More ...


How could I not include this classic?


Kanga of Winnie the Pooh!





Today is ...

* National Bookmobile Day
* Scrabble Day


Today's Baker's Dozen Plus ...

  1. kangaroo
  2. klezmer
  3. kettle
  4. Kaiser
  5. Klingon
  6. kakapo
  7. Kickapoo
  8. kingfisher
  9. kyththe --- well, well, well -- when I first encountered this word, in a 1961 dictionary, it had the double th;  I removed the second set of 'th' and turned it into a name for a character.  Somehow, I don't know how -- maybe because Madeleine L'Engle used the term in her A Wrinkle In Time series, the word now has just the one "th" in it ... 
  10. keg
  11. hmmm ... apparently my brain went out for a nap or a milkshake before I finished making the list of "K-words" -- so let's add a few more ... does "K-Car" count?  Probably not ...
    How about:  kaleidoscopically
  12. kindheartednesses
  13. kindergarteners
  14. knickerbockers
  15. kleptomaniac
  16. kinnikinnick
  17. kitchenette
  18. kerplunk
  19. kerfuffle
  20. kerchieves
  21. kismet
  22. ken
Call to Action ...


There are 5 things you can do to earn a free gift (probably a selection of Color-Your-Own SuseDoodle postcards from a forthcoming collection to be released soon! WOO HOO!)  All five  Call to Action options can be found here -- two can be  answered in the Comments Section here or via the InLinkz section at the end of the post ... I wanted to set the closing date as May 7 but InLinkz would not let  me run a link list for that long ... so the deadline is May 1 ...

1 comment:

  1. The kooky Klingon in his kitchenette poured kombucha from a kettle while the kindhearted Korean got his kicks from the keg.

    ReplyDelete